Cops describe the chaotic arrest of ex-Giant Chad Wheeler

Three police officers reportedly had to pile atop hulking former New York Giants tackle Chad Wheeler and use a Taser to get him into custody after allegedly choking his girlfriend unconscious.

Several police reports obtained by TMZ Sports detail the struggle between Kent cops and the ex-NFL offensive lineman during the alleged Jan. 22 attack at his girlfriend’s apartment, which left the woman with a dislocated arm, she told police.

“When I grabbed ahold of Chad, I could tell that he was very solid and muscular as he was not easy to move,” one officer wrote in a police report of the 27-year-old listed at 6 feet 7 inches tall and 315 pounds.

Kent police were tipped off that the suspect in the domestic attack – which Wheeler has described as the result of a “manic episode” – was the NFL lineman, TMZ reported.

Three responding cops then had to collectively get on top of Wheeler to subdue him, but still struggled to take him into custody, one officer recalled.

“As the three of us (with a combined weight of about 700 pounds) were on top of Chad, I could feel him lifting his body up like he was pushing up to get away,” a police report read.

At one point, Wheeler used his “massive size” as he scrapped with cops in a bathroom to lift himself momentarily up to six inches off the floor while apparently using “little effort,” an officer wrote in one report.

Cops ultimately used a Taser on the uncooperative Wheeler, but the device had “little to no effect” on him, according to the report.

“Chad was so strong that even with the combined weight of three officers he was able to move around and prevent us from putting his arms behind his back,” one officer wrote in a report.

The three officers eventually took Wheeler into custody, but called for a jail van to take him to police station because they feared his sizable frame wouldn’t fit in a standard police cruiser, TMZ reported.

Wheeler, who formerly played for the New York Giants in 2017 and 2018, has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree domestic violence assault, domestic violence unlawful imprisonment and resisting arrest in the alleged attack.

Wheeler was cut by the Seattle Seahawks on Jan. 27 following his arrest, and is due back in court on Feb. 11. He has been released from custody, but was ordered to remain under home confinement and to stay away from the victim.

After being waived by the Seahawks, Wheeler later tweeted that he was stepping away from football, saying he needed help following the “manic episode” he claims led to the alleged attack.

“I cannot express my sorrow or remorse enough,” Wheeler tweeted Wednesday. “I am truly ashamed.”

The Seahawks lineman had been taking medication for bipolar disorder, but recently stopped taking it, a separate police report showed.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.